Day Seven: Meet Me In Montana

Woke up to temps in the upper 40s, but sunny and nearly cloudless.  It was time to add another stamp to the “places I’ve camped” map on the side of the trailer.  So exciting!

ND on the map!

I did a few housekeeping things, then started to hitch up.  Unfortunately, I was at an angle as it was another curved site with lots of trees at the edge.  And in a near disaster, the camera I use to see the hitch hadn’t been charged and died.

I had to hitch without being able to see; there were a few moments of despair and imagining I’d need someone to come lift the trailer into a better position, but with sheer determination I got it hitched!  Another challenge met.  Pics of the campground (site 115):

Slides in, ready to go…if I can get hitched up.
Large picnic table and fire ring with grate.
The door side just overlooked trees and greenery. It was nice.
Another angle. It was a really popular park. I can see why!

I left the campground around 10:30.  Before an hour had passed, I’d pulled over.  I’d spied an intriguing place–the Lewis and Clark Interpretive center.  It’s near Mandan.  I decided not to pay the fee to wander the interior, as I felt like I was losing time on the road.  But I did grab a few pics of the impressive statue outside the center and some horses on the grounds.

Lewis and Clark conferring with Mandan chief.
They wintered at Fort Mandan and were basically fed by the tribe. They would not have survived that first winter without the help.
Horses and view behind the Lewis and Clark Center
Rory and the fifth wheel parked at the center.

I got back on the road and made my way to I-94.  Now, the posted speed limit was 75 for cars, 65 for trucks.  I drove 60 most of the way, but some 65.  North Dakota is a Plains state, with wide open spaces and a good amount of wind.  At one point, nearing the Western border, a gust hit me on the side so hard that Rory and the trailer were pushed into the left lane.  Luckily no one was there, but it was a wake up call.  I slowed to 60 again and had no issues.

As I neared the Montana border, I saw another place to pull over–it is an overlook within the South Unit of the Teddy Roosevelt National Park.  There is semi/RV parking as well as for cars.  I made a beeline for it–I’d been driving over 3 hours at that point–and the views were spectacular.

The Painted Canyon, part of the Teddy Roosevelt National Park.
TRNP has several pieces to it; this is part of the South unit.
It was beautiful.
Rory and I weren’t the only trailers parked here!
Pano of the park.

I finally got back in Rory and pushed on into Montana…where the posted speed limit for ALL vehicles is the same: 80.

Well, this girl ain’t going 80.  Way too much speed, and bad things happen when you’re going too fast.  I kept it at 65.  There is a speed minimum of 55; at least I’m above that.

I drove over 6 hours today, made it to Miles City KOA and took Rory for a bath.  The bugs are just all over.  The fifth wheel cap has a ton of dead bugs too, but I can’t do anything about them…yet.

I went to a Mexican restaurant for dinner–it was very bland and had way too much cheese.  I miss spice.  I should know by now that most people wouldn’t know good Mexican if it bit them.  I keep hoping…

Time for bed.  Another 350 miles to go tomorrow.  I may not be able to post, as my site will have no electricity.  But I’m hoping for some good pictures of the confluence of three rivers to form the Missouri.  Hope everyone is still enjoying my blog.  Any questions or things you are curious about? Ask below!

14 Replies to “Day Seven: Meet Me In Montana”

  1. I would like to let you know how much I have enjoyed reading your blog! Traveling across the U.S. is something I have always wanted to do, but as of yet, life has not afforded me the opportunity to do so. Someday! In the meantime, I will travel vicariously through you!
    I did have an odd question. Traveling alone as you are, what do you do to stay alert while you are driving? Safe travels and thanks again!

    Liked by 1 person

    1. Thanks Liz. It’s not an odd question at all, and a real issue when you drive every day for hours. First, I listen to books. This keeps my mind focused on understanding what is happening. I have Audible and about 45 different books available to listen to. I need to sing for a while, I put on Spotify, but 99% of the time it’s Audible.


      1. I also fix two Yeti’s full of iced tea (shout out to DB and family for their gift of one) and, finally, I use the truck driver trick: chew on something. You can’t fall asleep if you’re eating. This is why truck stops carry things like unshelled pistachios or sunflower seeds and so many hard candies. I like almonds. I have trail mix (thanks to people at work!). I use tic tacs. Ultimately, if I’m really tired, I stop. I can get out, stretch, or even lay down for 15-20 minutes. Thanks for the question!


  2. Looks like you have a lot of people traveling with you although we are not there in person, I do enjoy reading your blog and looking at the beautiful picture and sharing them with your uncle Roy and other family members, he thought that TRNP was prettier than the bad lands when we went through there. I am sure it takes lots of time to keep the blog up to date, but I do enjoy traveling with you via it. You and Rory stay safe.

    Liked by 1 person

    1. Thanks, Aunt Louise! I wish I’d had more time for TRNP. Maybe on the way back. I’m at Missy and Dave’s now, so parked for a while. Then the real fun begins! Got to see Jake play a ball game last night, which was awesome. Hope you’re all well!


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: